Sunday, June 5, 2011

My PEOP


I did my research on whether or not Electric Vehicles are the future and if they’re less polluting. During this whole process I did field works, which were two interviews since I was not sure what to observe.  The people I decided to interview were Mary Brake Mechanical Engineering teacher and Royal Chrysler car salesmen Johnny. Doing these two interviews allowed me to get someone else’s perspective on EVs. I got good feedback from both interviews and even though both said there is still a lot of work to do on the battery life. They both believe that in five to ten years EVs are going to be the future. Doing fieldwork made me want to broaden my views by seeing what others think and learning how they feel about what ever my research can be. In my interviews I learned that there will be people who agree with what I say but also people who will disagree with what I say. But to me that’s perfect because it allows us to try to find a middle ground so we can find something we agree on and work from there. I was surprised to learn that charging EVs in older houses could take longer because there might not be as much electricity going through the house. So that means it could take longer to charge than normal four to 10 hours it needs. Going into my interviews I already knew that Mary and Johnny views would be different from mine. Both of the interviews were done on May 31, 2011 for about 10 minutes each, one was on the phone and the other was in person. The thing I wish I could have done better is having more questions to ask about EVs. That way I could have learned more about the opinion of other people and I wish I could have done an observation so I know how EVs work. The reason the information I found is important is because people are always saying that since EVs use power plants they’re polluting a lot. But in reality they are still polluting less because power plants can be monitored and scrubbers are used to get rid of the emissions emitted. It is also less polluting than 150 million combustion engine cars which cannot be monitored. Also that there are cars today that use lithium ion batteries (laptop battery) to charge the car, like the Tesla Roadster. Doing all of this research would help with my future profession in Mechanical Engineering by learning about different technology and the good and bad things about them. I’m curious to see the new technology that will come out in the future and how car manufactures plan on making EVs better. Like how they plan on making batteries last longer and how they plan to make it so EVs can travel further.

Chris is a 22 year old freshman at Eastern Michigan University. This was all done while he was in his class for English 121. The day was June 1 2011, when he realized that he is only in the early stages of researching. But he does give good facts about his research topic. So he will continue to broaden his horizon and work hard to become a better writer and researcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment